Sunday 5 February 2012

Setsubun

Setsubun means “Seasonal Divide” and is known as the “bean throwing festival”.
It happens on the first day of spring, so we celebrated on Friday the 3rd of February.
Mamemaki  is the custom of getting rid of bad spirits in one’s house. It is a way  for families to cleanse their houses… by throwing soybeans at the front door and yelling “Oni wa soto… Fuku wa uchii”.  Which means “Devil Out… Good luck in”. It is also custom to eat the beans, not the ones that have been on the ground (obviously), one for every year of your life, plus one for the coming year… I ate 26!

Not all households practise this traditional anymore, which I found out when I asked the Japanese attending the café I work at on Tuesday. I was surprised when all of them shook their heads and looked at me like I was crazy!
However the Suzaki family still practise this tradition, so I am lucky to be part of their home. After throwing the beans the head of a (cooked) sardine is placed onto a piece of holly and placed somewhere outside, near the entrance to the house, so that bad spirits cannot enter.

Next was Dinner…. Eho Maki – Lucky Direction Roll. It looks the same as a Sushi Roll, except Chisa thought it would be fun to make one massive roll, so we did.

Once cut up we all took a piece then had to face in the direction just west of North, this is determined by the Chinese Zodiac Symbol of this year, so changes every year, you have to keep your eyes closed whilst eating the sushi roll and not open them till the whole roll is finished, you are also not allowed to talk. Rather complicated isn’t it?


This tradition is probably the most involved of all the traditions I have experienced, so far. I feel so privileged to have been part of it with Shota’s family. It’s funny and a little sad that Australia doesn’t have any customs like Japan, I guess this is what makes Japan such a culturally rich Country and I hope they do continue their traditions as the years go on. I know if Shota and I one day have a family, we would like to teach our Children these traditions, especially as they will have Japanese heritage.
This evening we are off for  “Farewell Dinner” with twenty members of Shota’s family, so  a small gathering :p
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment